All you need for optical measurements
WPI now provides a full range of components and solutions, from proprietary qualfied fibers, optical assemblies to fully integrated spectroscopy measurement systems. WPI knows the the importance of making measuarements where the science happens with our full range of reflectance and transmission dipping probes, fiber optic O2 and pH probes, and long pathlength flowcells all to eliminate the need to take a sample to the instrument. Our Photonics Center of Excellence in Friedberg, Germany also allows us to build proven custom configurations qulickly. Whether that is a new optical design for a probe, an optical assembly or a customized measurement system.
- WPI's glass and synthetic quartz cuvettes are ideal for UV/VIS/NIR absorbance and fluorescence experiments. For spectroscopy cuvettes, synthetic quartz can be used in deep UV applications and is recommended for fluorescent applications, as it does not exhibit background fluorescence. Our quartz cuvettes (absorbance, fluorescence and flow) are shipped individually packaged. Our glass cuvettes are shipped in packages of 10 cuvettes. These economical quartz and glass cuvettes are ideal for precision measurements, because of the high quality materials used and the low manufacturing tolerances. Cuvettes come in a variety of shapes and sizes, but one of the most important specifications of a cuvette is its Z-dimension. The Z-dimension of an instrument (cuvette holder or spectrometer) is the distance from the bottom of the cuvette chamber floor to the center of its light beam (see image). A cuvette’s Z-dimension must match the Z-dimension of the instrument with which it will be used. Compare manufacturers' Z-dimensions and learn how to measure a Z-dimension.
- Dip probes allow researchers to perform liquid absorbance and transmittance measurements in small sample volumes without a cuvette. The probe tip is immersed in the solution under investigation. One of it's furcated fiber ends connected to a fiber optic light source and the other to a fiber optic spectrometer. World Precision Instruments offers both off the shelf dip probes and custom designed dip probes.
- UV/VUS/NIR absorbance spectroscopy is governed by Beer's Law, where the absorbance signal is proportional to chemical concentration, light path length and the compound's specific molar absorbance coefficient. Optical pathlengths of typcial cuvettes and flow cells are between 0.1 cm and 10cm. Longer pathlengths are difficult to achieve due to mechanical constraints. Liquid Waveguide Capillary Cells (LWCC's) fill this gap.
- Our standard light sources for spectroscopy are the ones most commonly used with our spectroscopic detection systems like the LEDspec and the Biofluorometer. We have halogen light sources for broad spectrum applications, a tungsten fiber optic light source for applications requiring continuous VIS (visible) and NIR (near infra red) applications. We also offer the LED Lite with exchangeable modules for single wavelength applications. LEDs and high output LEDs offer an affordable solution for spectroscopy light sources. LED bulbs can last for 10,000 hours, they require no warmup time, and you can order only the wavelengths of interest. There is very little drift with and LED light source, because they produce almost no heat.
- Our high performance spectrophotometers use photo diode array (PDA) technology and are available for the UV (190-390 nm), UV/VIS (190-720 nm) and VIS/NIR (300-1100 nm) spectral range. The Tidas S 300 series uses internal light sources, allowing for a compact experimental setup. The Tidas E Base series uses an external light source which customers may select. WPI’s Tidas series is a high end fiber-optic spectrometer module designed for low noise applications. The Tidas series outperforms conventional bench-based spectrophotometers and CCD-based spectrometer modules, when it comes to high precision fiber optic sampling. It relies on a monolithic optical bench made by Zeiss, which is optimized for fiber optic applications. Most cuvette-based standard spectrometers lose more than 90% of light through expensive prism decoupling. The Tidas series is designed for fiber optic sampling cells. Using suitable light sources and sample cells, spectral detection in the wavelength range of 190 to 1100 nm can be performed at noise levels < 0.04 mAU peak to peak.
- WPI manufactures "Off-The-Shelf" and "Made to Order" high quality spectroscopy fiber and fiber probes. Examples such as transmission dip probes for protein DNA/RNA Quantification, UV Raman Probes for in situ environmental testing of PAHs in aqueouos systems, fluorescence probes designed to detect pH and membrane portential, to standard fiber patch cable to couple to fiberoptic spectrometers, sources and accessories. In need of an fiberoptic cable or a custom fiber assembly that's not on our website? Simply visit the link below to request pricing and/or speak with one of our specialist. 1x1 Standard Optical Fiber And Custom Assembly Request Form
- Here are some cuvette holders for spectroscopic applications.
- These accessories are commonly used in spectroscopy.